Deepika Padukone, born on January 5, 1986, is one of India's most beloved and iconic actresses. She has not only captivated audiences with her ethereal beauty but has also won acclaim for her versatile acting prowess.
Her journey from a young model to becoming a global icon has been nothing short of remarkable. Her estimated net worth is USD 60 million approx. (INR 500 crore).
In this article, we'll delve into the life and career of Deepika Padukone, a trailblazing figure in the world of Indian cinema.
Deepika Padukone was born in Copenhagen, Denmark, to renowned badminton player Prakash Padukone and Ujjala Padukone. Her family has a strong sports background, with her father being a former international badminton champion.
Deepika, initially pursuing a career in sports, played badminton at the state level but eventually followed her passion for modelling and acting.
Deepika's journey to stardom began in the fashion industry. In 2005, she made her runway debut at the Lakme Fashion Week, and within a short span, she established herself as one of India's top models.
Her striking looks and graceful demeanour made her a sought-after name on the runway, and she graced numerous magazine covers and ad campaigns.
Deepika Padukone made her acting debut in 2006 with the Kannada film "Aishwarya." However, it was her Bollywood debut in Farah Khan's "Om Shanti Om" opposite Shah Rukh Khan in 2007 that catapulted her to fame.
The film was a massive success, and Deepika received widespread recognition for her performance as Shantipriya/Sandhya.
Deepika's journey in Bollywood has been marked by the remarkable range of characters she has portrayed. Here are some of her standout films from different genres:
1. "Cocktail" (2012): Deepika won accolades for her role as Veronica, a complex and independent character. Her performance displayed her ability to effortlessly switch between different shades of a character.
2. "Chennai Express" (2013): Her chemistry with Shah Rukh Khan in this action-comedy became a major talking point. The film's success reinforced her position as a leading actress.
3. "Goliyon Ki Raasleela Ram-Leela" (2013): This Sanjay Leela Bhansali film showcased Deepika's dedication to her craft. Her portrayal of Leela, a passionate lover, earned her critical acclaim and numerous awards.
4. "Piku" (2015): Deepika played the titular role in this heartwarming film, displaying her versatility as an actress. Her portrayal of a daughter struggling to care for her ageing father was both touching and relatable.
5. "Bajirao Mastani" (2015): Collaborating with Sanjay Leela Bhansali again, Deepika delivered a powerful performance as Mastani. Her portrayal of the historical character was celebrated as one of her finest works.
6. "Padmaavat" (2018): This epic period drama, also directed by Bhansali, saw Deepika in the role of Rani Padmavati. Her regal and dignified performance received rave reviews.
7. "Chhapaak" (2020): Deepika's portrayal of acid attack survivor Laxmi Agarwal was a testament to her commitment to meaningful roles. The film highlighted a critical social issue and received widespread acclaim.
Deepika's talent has transcended borders, earning her international recognition.
She has appeared alongside Vin Diesel in the Hollywood action film "xXx: Return of Xander Cage" (2017), making her the most recognisable Indian actress abroad. Deepika has also represented India at prestigious global events such as the Met Gala.
Deepika's personal life has been under the media spotlight due to her marriage to fellow Bollywood actor Ranveer Singh in 2018. The couple's love story, as well as their chemistry on and off-screen, has endeared them to fans.
Apart from her acting career, Deepika is known for her philanthropic work and her advocacy for mental health awareness. She launched the Live Love Laugh Foundation, which aims to reduce the stigma surrounding mental health in India.
Deepika Padukone's exceptional talent has earned her numerous awards and accolades throughout her career. These include multiple Filmfare Awards, the National Film Award, and many more. Her performances in "Padmaavat" and "Piku" were particularly acclaimed and received several awards.
Deepika Padukone, one of Bollywood's leading actresses, has established herself as a highly influential figure in brand endorsements.
Her impressive portfolio includes associations with brands such as L'Oréal, Coca-Cola, and Tanishq, showcasing her global appeal and elegance.
With her striking looks and versatile talent, she is a sought-after celebrity endorser, both in India and on the international stage.
Deepika Padukone has become an integral part of the Indian film industry, celebrated not only for her acting skills but also for her grace, elegance, and her ability to portray a wide range of characters.
Her journey from a model to a global icon has been inspirational, and she continues to be an influential figure in the world of Indian cinema.
With her unwavering dedication to her craft, philanthropic work, and international recognition, Deepika Padukone's legacy is one that will endure for generations to come.